What is the only thing better than a perfect stack of thick and fluffy pancakes in the morning? A perfect stack of thick and fluffy VEGAN CHOCOLATE CHIP pancakes!! Get your chocolate fix for breakfast with these delicious and easy vegan pancakes!!
If you are the kind of person that is always looking for a way to eat chocolate for breakfast, then look no further than these absolutely perfect vegan chocolate chip pancakes! Also, feel free to pop by my place for breakfast, because I also firmly believe that chocolate is acceptable at all hours of the day.
Like all of my pancake recipes, I use a fun technique to make these extra fluffy, and a fun ingredient to make them refined sugar free. The fun ingredient is I use maple syrup instead of regular sugar! And in these chocolate chip ones, I use a little more than in other types of pancakes, because it adds to the rich taste that comes along with eating chocolate for breakfast. And the fun technique is leaving the batter to rest for at least 20 minutes before making them. This thickens the batter and is what leads to the insanely fluffy and thick pancakes you see here. You can leave it for 20 minutes, or longer, or even make the batter a day in advance and let it rest overnight so your morning routine is made even easier!
Last note before getting into these – if you’ve found your way here because you love pancakes, but don’t actually want chocolate chips in them and plan to leave them out, do yourself a favor and follow along with a recipe specifically designed for chocolate chip-less pancakes! Head over to either my buttermilk pancakes, blueberry pancakes, or banana pancakes instead!
How To Make Them:
I love making pancakes. They’re insanely easy. They fall into my favorite category of baking, which is basically – throw all the ingredients together into a bowl, mix, and then you’re ready to go.
Start by mixing the dry ingredients in a bowl – gluten free (or all-purpose) flour, baking powder, and salt. Then add in the non-dairy milk, maple syrup, vanilla extract, and neutral oil. Finally, add in the star of the show, the vegan chocolate chips! Mix until combined, and then here’s the fun part – let it sit at room temperature on the counter for at least 20 minutes.
Look, if you don’t have that time to spare, you can totally just make the pancakes immediately, and they will be DELICIOUS. But if you let it sit for a bit, the batter will thicken up, and you will find yourself with extra thick and fluffy pancakes as an end result. Also as I noted above, you can even make the batter the night before, cover it and keep in the fridge overnight, then just let it come to room temperature in the morning and cook them as soon as you’re ready for breakfast!
No matter which route you go, once you’re ready to make the pancakes, use a ¼ cup measuring cup to scoop out ¼ cup batter per pancake onto a greased or non-stick pan over medium heat. I recommend using a spoon or even your fingertips to help form them into a perfect circle shape around 3-4 inches across.
Time to bake!
If you’ve never made pancakes before, they’re quick and simple! Let them cook over medium heat for about 3 minutes on the first side, you’ll know it’s time to flip them when the top starts to bubble a bit and you see the edges are cooking. Flip and cook on the other side for about 2 minutes until golden brown, then remove from the heat and get the next one going, and start building that stack of PERFECT vegan chocolate chip pancakes!!
One note that is specific to chocolate chip pancakes, especially if you have a gas stove – be careful of where you leave the bowl with the batter!! Don’t forget that if the bowl is close to the heat, and the batter is heating up in the bowl, you run the risk of the chips starting to melt in the batter itself which still sounds super yummy to be honest but will definitely not yield the perfect chocolate chip pancakes you’re going for here.
I imagine these will stay good at room temperature or in the fridge for a few days, and I’m sure they will freeze well, but guys I have never NOT eaten the whole stack at once so I really can’t help you here.
Pro Tips & Tools:
- Make sure you are measuring your flour either by weight or using the spoon and level method. Do not scoop directly from the container, as you will wind up with too much! This is so important! If you want to buy a pre-made gluten free flour blend, make sure it’s King Arthur’s Measure for Measure Gluten Free Flour, it is BY FAR the best one for my recipes, NOT Bob’s Red Mills or any others. If you want to make a homemade blend, here is a link to the one I use.
- Make sure you measure your liquid ingredients using liquid measuring cups. This will ensure accuracy! I love this set.
- If you are using chocolate chips, make sure they are vegan! I love these for dark chocolate chips, and these for semi-sweet.
- Flour – Make sure you are measuring your flour either by weight or using the spoon and level method. Do not scoop directly from the container, as you will wind up with too much! This is so important! If you want to buy a pre-made gluten free flour blend, make sure it’s King Arthur’s Measure for Measure Gluten Free Flour, it is BY FAR the best one for my recipes, NOT Bob’s Red Mills or any others. If you want to make a homemade blend, here is a link to the one I use.
- Baking powder – I recommend using baking powder that has no added aluminum. This one is my go-to.
- Non-dairy milk – any will work, I usually use soy
- Maple syrup
- Neutral oil – any will work, I usually use grapeseed.
- Vanilla extract
- Vegan chocolate chips – I love these for dark chocolate chips, and these for semi-sweet.
What To Bake Next:
- Want more fun breakfast options? Maybe donuts?! Try these Vegan Cinnamon Sugar Donuts, or these Vegan Coconut Donuts, or these Vegan Blueberry Donuts with Blueberry Glaze, or these Vegan Copycat Entenmann’s Donuts.
- How about some breakfast muffins!? Try these Vegan Blueberry Muffins, or these Vegan Lemon Poppyseed Muffins, or these Vegan Peanut Butter Banana Muffins, or these Vegan Flourless and Refined Sugar Free Chocolate Chip Mini-Muffins.
- Okay last but not least, more breakfast treats?! Check out this Vegan Peanut Butter and Chocolate Chip Banana Bread, or these Vegan Lemon Blueberry Scones, or this Vegan Marbled Banana Bread, or this Perfect Vegan Coffee Cake.
Sweet and Fluffy Vegan Chocolate Chip Pancakes (Refined Sugar Free and Gluten Free option)
- 1 cup gluten free flour can sub all-purpose if desired. This links to my favorite store bought gluten free flour blend that works best with all of my recipes, or see "Ingredients Needed" section for further info.
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- ¾ cup + 2 tbsp non-dairy milk
- 2 tbsp neutral oil
- 3 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup vegan chocolate chips
- In a large bowl, mix the gluten free flour, baking powder, and salt in a large bowl. Then add in the non-dairy milk, neutral oil, maple syrup, and vanilla extract. Finally add in the vegan chocolate chips, then mix until combined. Cover the bowl and let it sit on the counter at room temperature for at least 20 minutes. I go into more detail on this above, but if you don’t have the time for this you can skip it, the pancakes will just be a little less fluffy. You can also make the batter ahead of time a day in advance, store covered in the fridge overnight, and let come to room temperature in the morning before making them.
- Once you are ready to make your pancakes, use a non-stick pan or grease a pan and turn your stove onto medium heat. Scoop the batter in ¼ cup scoops and form into a 3-4 inch in diameter perfect circle on the pan. Let cook for about 3 minutes on each side. This amount of batter will make 6 pancakes.
- Eat and enjoy!